Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nutella, Oatmeal, and Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free)


For the last couple days I have had this need to bake, as in if I didn’t get around to baking I was going to be a not so happy person.  So yesterday at work I decided to go home and make me some Nutella cookies.  It’s not easy to go home after a long day of work and cook, let along bake, I’m sure many can relate to this, however, I had some baking energy in reserve from who knows where ready to be put in good use.
I checked that I had everything I needed (its especially not fun to realize that you don’t have all necessary ingredients after getting all psyched to bake- major buzz kill), got home, and became a baking machine.  I also made a baked gluten-free macaroni and cheese casserole with whatever cheese I could find- Mozzarella, Cheddar, Mexican cheese mix, and Gouda.  Since I was in the kitchen, I might as well make some dinner, right?

Well, let me tell you, when I pulled that first batch out of the oven, my whole house filled with the aroma of fresh baked Nutella cookies, which of course got me wondering if anyone was genius enough to make a Nutella scented candle, but that is besides the point.  The point is, my house smelled of Nutella!  Fantastic, really.

I adjusted the original recipe and added gluten-free oatmeal (by the way, I looooove oatmeal).  Outcome- thin, light and Nutella-y!  They can also be made with regular flour, and if you don’t want the oatmeal, then you can omit it.  AND, if the Nutella in the batter isn’t enough, you can always spread Nutella in between two cookies and make a Nutella cookie sandwich.  Brialliant.

Enjoy!





Nutella, Oatmeal, and Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from Erin’s Food Files)
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup Nutella
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix, such as Pamela’s Baking Mix (for non gluten-free, use regular flour)
1/3 cup rolled oats, such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter with an electric mixer until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in both sugars. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about three minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
With the mixer on low, add the egg and vanilla. Then add Nutella and mix until well combined.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and oatmeal (if using). Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and mix just until the dough is smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
Using a teaspoon, form the dough into balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Let cookies cool about 5 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment